Amazon Aurora: Papers Review

Amazon Aurora is a very interesting piece of engineering. I want to share my review notes on 2 papers related to amazon aurora. I was wondering for a long time, 2 years if I should start publishing my reviews or not. I do structure learning and study for a long time for more than 15+ years, however, I often take notes on the papers and videos I see in my Evernote. After 2 years of thinking I decided to share my papers review notes. I believe this decision will improve my learnings because I will write even more about the things I study and read and often do in my day-by-day work. I don't work at Amazon however I like amazon a lot, they are a reference for me in regards of SOA(Service Oriented Architecture), DevOps, Cloud, and NoSQL/NewSQL databases now, which aurora they proved to me that cloud-native database it's a real thing and its not BS marketing.

Papers

Engineers often dont read papers, which is a big mistake because they loose often Deep Dive tech content related to Algorithms, Datastructures, Techniques, and lessons learned. So If you are reading this, start reading papers. The 2 amazon papers I'm talking about are:

Amazon Aurora: On Avoiding Distributed Consensus for I/Os, Commits, and Membership Changes
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3183713.3196937

Amazon Aurora: Design Considerations for High Throughput Cloud-Native Relational Databases
https://www.allthingsdistributed.com/files/p1041-verbitski.pdf

I highly recommend you read the papers if you want to learn more about cloud-native databases.

Reviews

Amazon Aurora: On Avoiding Distributed Consensus for I/Os, Commits, and Membership Changes
https://github.com/diegopacheco/notes/blob/master/paper_reviews/aws_aurora/diegopacheco_paper_review_Amazon_Aurora_On_Avoiding_Distributed_Consensus_for_IOs_Commits_and_Membership_Changes.pdf

Amazon Aurora: Design Considerations for High Throughput Cloud-Native Relational Databases
https://github.com/diegopacheco/notes/blob/master/paper_reviews/aws_aurora/diegopacheco_paper_review_Amazon_Aurora_Design_Considerations_for_High_Throughput_CloudNative_RelationalDatabases.pdf.pdf

I hope you enjoy it. More to come.

Cheers,
Diego Pacheco

Popular posts from this blog

Kafka Streams with Java 15

Rust and Java Interoperability

HMAC in Java